Temporary residence of a family member of an EU citizen

You can apply if you are:

A family member of an EU citizen

Where you can submit your application:

  • at the appropriate office of the Department for Asylum and Migration Policy of the Ministry of the Interior

What you need to file an application:

  • a completed form
  • a travel document
  • a document proving that you are a family member (e.g. a marriage certificate, birth certificate, evidence of a long-term relationship and living together in a common household, etc.)
  • proof of accommodation (e.g. a lease agreement, a confirmation of the owner or authorized user of a flat or a house on the entitlement to use the flat or the house - with a notarized signature, etc.)
  • proof of travel medical insurance
  • proof of residence of the EU national in the territory (this does not apply if it the EU national has been issued a certificate of temporary residence or a permanent residence permit, or if they are a family member of a Czech Republic citizen who is registered with permanent residence in the territory)

Period of validity:

  • maximum of 5 years (may be extended)

The deadline for granting or not granting temporary residence:

  • 60 days from the date of submitting the application

Stay in the territory during the examination of the application

  • your travel document will be marked with a visa sticker granting you a visa for a stay over 90 days with a period of validity according to the presumed length of examination of the application (this does not apply if you are listed in the information system of contracting states - in this case, you will only be issued the confirmation of permission to stay).
  • from the date of submission of the application, you can work without a work permit
  • If you have a visa sticker granting you a visa for a stay over 90 days, you can travel to other Schengen countries.

Not granting temporary residence:

  • within 15 days of the delivery of the decision, it is possible to lodge an appeal it
  • If the appeal is rejected, within 30 days from the date of delivery of the decision to reject it is possible to file a suit


  • If you have been granted temporary stay, but you subsequently ceased to be a family member, it is possible for you to apply for long-term residence or permanent residence subject to the conditions provided by law.

·  It is no longer possible to submit an application on the basis of a Departure Order!